How to Wear Stilettos
Stilettos are one of the sexiest things that a woman has in her wardrobe. Those slim, sharp and dangerously high heels truly make legs look longer and slimmer, making women feel more sexy and powerful. Marilyn Monroe immortalized the stiletto when she revealed that she would cut off half an inch on one heel so that she would have that extra wiggle when she walked. There was a time when only those high-power women executives were donning stilettos; now even teenagers are strutting the streets in shoes as high as seven inches. This is due partly because popular TV shows such as Sex and the City glorified stiletto heels to the hilt. Then of course, popular brands of stilettos shoes such as Manolo Blahnik and Jimmy Choo become even more popular because celebrities appear on the red carpet wearing them.
Although stilettos are extremely sexy, a bit of caution and common sense is required. Wearing stilettos has been known to have serious consequences to oneís feet. They can cause serious strains and even broken ankles. What a lot of women do not realize is that celebrities do not have trouble wearing stilettos because they travel in cars most of the time and do not have to walk very far to their destination. Ordinary women do not have such luxury; they walk everyday when going to work, to the grocery or to the gym. Clearly, stilettos are not meant for walking. Those who dare to don stilettos should take their cue from runway models and know the right way to walk on those high heels. Here are some tips that you should keep in mind in order to walk effortlessly in those sexy, stiletto heels.
- If you are beginner, donít even attempt to try those extremely high heels. Keep your hands off those seven-inch Loubotins and settle for lower versions. Make sure to choose a pair that has a sturdy feel and straps. This would hold your feet and ankle to the shoe. Leave the mules and sling backs to the experienced stiletto wearer. Also, try not to wear stockings with your stilettos. Bare feet will grip the shoes better compared to feet with hosiery.
- Make sure that you are wearing shoes with the perfect fit. Shoes with less than perfect fit will make you look awkward and can damage your feet. When buying stilettos, seek the help of an expert shoe salesman to find the right fit for your feet. Your shoes should not be too tight, too big or too narrow. Before using the shoes for a major event, break them in first for several days so they will be more comfortable later on. You can put band aid in your sheens first to avoid the painful scratches of new leather on your skin.
- Mind your posture. Wearing stilettos would not be sexy if you are slouching and stomping with each painful step. Posture is very important when wearing stilettos. Once you step into those heels, there will be a great change in your natural posture so you should learn how to hold it up. Thrust your chin up and stretch your shoulders down and wide. Make sure that your stomach is in and straighten your spine and legs. If you are doing ballet, Pilates or Yoga, this will be easier for you.
- Do the stiletto walk. There is a special walk that you must master if you want to look sexy in those Manolos. Clench your toes before making a step then land the weight on the balls of your feet. Spread the weight across your heel as you land. When walking in high heels, you should extend your leg with each step and put your foot down right in front of the other. This will help you maintain a great posture and provides a natural swivel on your hips, which is essential for that sexy, flirtatious walk.
- Be aware of the right techniques when walking on different types of surfaces. If walking on straight ground is challenging enough, imagine walking up the stairs in your high heels. The trick is to ascend the stairs sideways, still using your toes and balls of your feet. This will help you prevent your ankle from twisting or breaking. Be very careful when walking on smooth surfaces such as marble. It is very easy to slip on these surfaces. To make your shoes more slip-proof, put non-skid adhesive tape under the soles so the shoes will have adequate friction when used on smooth surfaces. Remember that the thinner your heel is, the more dangerous it is for walking. The heel can get stuck in grids and you might end up with a broken ankle. It is very easy to get your heels snapped in these situations.
- It pays to exercise your ankles and calves. Start by raising yourself up and down on your toes. This will strengthen your muscles and lets you walk on your stilettos easier.
If you must wear stilettos yet cannot stand to stand on those high heels for a long period of time, then you must learn to compromise. If you are heading to an event and traveling in a car, you can put on something comfortable first, like flats or sandals. Slip on the stilettos right before you step out of the car. If you have to walk when going to the office, you can put your heels in a stylish, oversized bag first and wear flats for the commute. You can slip the stilettos on as soon as you reach your office. Before heading home, change into the flats again for a comfortable walk back to your house.
Lastly, you should not wear stilettos everyday. This might be hard for shoe addicts who would not be caught dead without their high heels, but prolonged wearing of stilettos will undoubtedly cause serious damage to your feet later on. Deformed toes, bunions, intense heel pain and nerve damage are only some of the damages that your feet will face if you wear high shoes all the time. Make it a habit to wear comfortable footwear every chance you get.
|Posted on October 5, 2010, 8:21 pm|